Got a Doubt ! Wanting for your Help ! Plz make it ASAP !

Joel Goldstick joel.goldstick at gmail.com
Mon Nov 25 15:05:07 EST 2013

>> I'm not an expert on Indian English, but I understand that in that
>> dialect it is grammatically correct to say "the codes", just as in UK and
>> US English it is grammatically correct to say "the programs".
>>
>> In other words, in UK/US English, "code" in the sense of programming code
>> is an uncountable noun, like "rice" or "air", while in Indian English it
>> is a countable noun like cats or programs. We have to say "give me two
>> samples of code", or perhaps "two code samples", while an Indian speaker
>> might say "give me two codes".
>>
>> As this is an international forum, it behoves us all to make allowances
>> for slight difference in dialect.
>
> I don't see how that follows. I would say on the contrary. This being
> an international forum people should try to reframe from burdening
> lots of other people with expressions most people will not understand
> or even misunderstand.
>
> --
> Antoon Pardon
> --

I see the different idioms as kind of interesting, and funny
sometimes, but I don't think they pose a big barrier.  Mostly, people
don't provide OS or python version, or explain what they done and what
happens.  That makes it harder to respond than figuring out how
different people around the world say stuff.  I'm from US and I have
done lots of phone calls with Indian developers.  To me it sounds
strange to talk about codes, but I totally understand what they mean.
A bigger problem I have had is in understanding accents during multi
person phone calls with people from other countries.   Different
'English' speakers actually speak more differently than we write. At
least here we can read the words, even if they are different.
--
Joel Goldstick
http://joelgoldstick.com