Got a Doubt ! Wanting for your Help ! Plz make it ASAP !

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Mon Nov 25 11:23:04 EST 2013

On 2013-11-23, Steven D'Aprano <steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info> wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Nov 2013 01:55:44 +0000, Denis McMahon wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 22 Nov 2013 18:22:29 +0530, Bharath Kummar wrote:
>
>>> Could you PLEASE provide me with the codes (codes only for the asked
>>> queries) ?
>>
>> The codes are:
>>
>> 1) 7373a28109a7c4473a475b2137aa92d5
>> 2) f2fae9a4ad5ded75e4d8ac34b90d5c9c
>> 3) 935544894ca6ad7239e0df048b9ec3e5
>> 4) b1bc9942d029a4a67e4b368a1ff8d883
>>
>> Please contact your local government eavesdropping agency for assistance
>> on decoding the codes.
>
> I'm not an expert on Indian English, but I understand that in that
> dialect it is grammatically correct to say "the codes", just as in UK and
> US English it is grammatically correct to say "the programs".

I think Dennis was taking aim at the OP's request that somebody do his
homework assignment for him rather than at his incorrect (in US
"standard" English) use of the mass noun "code".

Mass nouns seem to be a common tripping point for people learning
English as a second language (and for some with English as their first
language). I'm not sure if that's because their first language doesn't
have something that corresponds to countable vs. mass nouns, or if
it's just the usual problem of English being so random and irregular
that it can only be learned easily by a toddler.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! I like the way ONLY
                                  at               their mouths move ...  They