Having trouble setting up an extremely simple server...

cilantromc at gmail.com cilantromc at gmail.com
Thu Nov 21 20:56:30 EST 2013

I'm attempting to set up an extremely simple server that receives a string, and returns a string. However, I have 2 problems. I'm able to receive the string from the client fine, but it only will receive it once. After I send another string from the client, it doesn't come up on the server... Also, I want to send something BACK to the client-side, but I can't seem to see how... Please help! I'm very new to networking, but I've been using Python for a while now, just recent;y getting into networking, trying to get things down.

SERVER.PY:

import socket;
serverReady = True;

serverSock = socket.socket(socket.AF_INET, socket.SOCK_STREAM);
serverSock.bind(('localhost', 8081));
serverSock.listen(10);

while (True):
    connection, address = serverSock.accept();
    if (serverReady):
        serverSockBuffer = connection.recv(1024);
        if (len(serverSockBuffer) > 0):
            print serverSockBuffer;
    if (raw_input("Ready?: ") in ['yes', 'y']):
        serverReady = True;
    else:
        serverReady = False;

CLIENT.PY:

import socket;

clientSock = socket.socket(socket.AF_INET, socket.SOCK_STREAM);
clientSock.connect(('localhost', 8081));

user = raw_input("Username: ");

while (True):
    sendData = raw_input("Send: ");
    clientSock.send(str(sendData + ' -- ' + user));
    print clientSock;