Recursive generator for combinations of a multiset?

Dan Stromberg drsalists at gmail.com
Sat Nov 23 01:33:29 EST 2013

On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 4:58 PM, John O'Hagan <research at johnohagan.com>wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Nov 2013 12:59:26 -0800
> Dan Stromberg <drsalists at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 10:46 PM, John O'Hagan
> > <research at johnohagan.com>wrote:
> >

> > > Short story: the subject says it all, so if you have an answer
> > > already, fire away. Below is the long story of what I'm using it
> > > for, and why I think it needs to be recursive. It may even be of
> > > more general interest in terms of filtering the results of
> > > generators.
> > >

> > I think you probably need permutations rather than combinations.
> >
> > Also, I think you'll need to form a word (partitioned off by spaces),
> > and then check it against a set containing /usr/share/dict/words
> > before recursing for the remainder of the sentence - this should
> > speed things up a LOT.
>
> Thanks for the reply. If I understand you correctly, you are suggesting
> permuting the input _characters_ to form words and then seeing if
> they exist, as opposed to my approach of combining known words and
> seeing if they are anagrams. (Permutations of words would not help find
> anagrams as they merely change the word order). Here is an attempt at
> that:

You've interpreted me correctly.

However, I was thinking about this in the back of my mind, and decided it
would probably be best to inhale /usr/share/dict/words (if on Linux), and
pull out words of the corrects lengths (as separated by the blanks) over
the correct (possible) alphabet, and permute Those, afterward checking if
they form good anagrams of the original sentence.  This would probably be
much faster, since English isn't that dense of a space.