Newbie - Trying to Help a Friend

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Nov 20 13:35:06 EST 2013

On 20/11/2013 18:18, Ned Batchelder wrote:
> On Wednesday, November 20, 2013 1:09:42 PM UTC-5, Mark Lawrence wrote:

>>> You think these two things make an excellent analogy?  1) a newsgroup mishap being actively investigated, and 2) calculated genocide.  It is not an excellent analogy, it's wildly disproportionate.
>>>
>>> Using a smiley doesn't fix it, and using it previously doesn't give you a free pass.  What research was I supposed to have done?  Examine your previous posts to see you overreacting before?  That would hardly have convinced me that this was OK.
>>>
>>> --Ned.
>>>

>> I suggest that you write to the BBC and get all episodes of the
>> extremely popular *COMEDY* "Dad's Army" withdrawn as "typical shabby
>> Nazi trick" was one of Captain Mainwearing's main lines.
>
> I see what you are getting at. You were referring to a TV show popular in your part of the world 30 years ago.  As this is a world-wide group, you might understand that I didn't get the reference, and perhaps many others did not either.  Humor is tricky, you need to know your audience.

It was 45 years ago, at very much the same time that another very
popular comedy was on, but its name escapes me right now.

>> And if I want
>> to overreact, I'll overreact, as I couldn't care two hoots whether I'm
>> dealing with an arsehole from the Python Software Foundation or one
>> who's not.
>
> I have no idea why you feel the need to insult me.  As to the PSF, this is relevant: http://www.python.org/psf/codeofconduct. "Members of the community are respectful."  Could you please be?
>
> --Ned.
>

>> Mark Lawrence

You mean after I had to plonk you from my own email because you kept
sending messages despite the fact that I'd asked you not to.  So the
references above only apply to me but not to you?  You bloody two faced
hypocrite, excuse me while I go off and barf.

But the best has yet to be invented.  Christian Tismer

Mark Lawrence