Using try-catch to handle multiple possible file types?

Neil Cerutti mr.cerutti at gmail.com
Wed Nov 20 10:05:03 EST 2013

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info via python.org
8:56 PM (12 hours ago) wrote:
> Write a helper function:
>
> def process(opener):
>     with opener('blah.txt', 'rb') as f:
>         for line in f:
>             print(line)

As another option, you can enter the context manager after you decide.

try:
    f = gzip.open('blah.txt', 'rb')
except IOError:
    f = open('blah.txt', 'rb')
with f:
   # processing
   for line in f:
       print(line)

contextlib.ExitStack was designed to handle cases where entering
context is optional, and so also works for this use case.

with contextlib.ExitStack() as stack:
    try:
        f = gzip.open('blah.txt', 'rb')
    except IOError:
        f = open('blah.txt', 'rb')
    stack.enter_context(f)
    for line in f:
       print(line)

--
Neil Cerutti

On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 8:56 PM, Steven D'Aprano

Neil Cerutti <mr.cerutti+python at gmail.com>