How to install pip for python3 on OS X?

Travis Griggs travisgriggs at gmail.com
Fri Nov 22 15:23:39 EST 2013

On Nov 19, 2013, at 11:27 PM, Ned Deily <nad at acm.org> wrote:

> In article <6856A21C-57E8-4CDD-A9E8-5DD738C368A5 at gmail.com>,
> Travis Griggs <travisgriggs at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> OSX (Mavericks) has python2.7 stock installed. But I do all my own personal
>> python stuff with 3.3. I just flushed my 3.3.2 install and installed the new
>> 3.3.3. So I need to install pyserial again. I can do it the way I've done it
>> before, which is:
>>
>> Download pyserial from pypi
>> untar pyserial.tgz
>> cd pyserial
>> python3 setup.py install
>> But I'd like to do like the cool kids do, and just do something like pip3
>> install pyserial. But it's not clear how I get to that point. And just that
>> point. Not interested (unless I have to be) in virtualenv
>> yet.---------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> http://www.pip-installer.org/en/latest/installing.html
>
> # download and install setuptools
> curl -O https://bitbucket.org/pypa/setuptools/raw/bootstrap/ez_setup.py
> python3 ez_setup.py
> # download and install pip
> curl -O https://raw.github.com/pypa/pip/master/contrib/get-pip.py
> python3 get-pip.py
> # use pip to install
> python3 -m pip install pyserial
> # Don't want it?
> python3 -m pip uninstall pyserial
>
> --
> Ned Deily,
> nad at acm.org

Ned,

Thank you! Belatedly. I’ve had some fires to put out at work. And have gotten back to this, and this is exactly what I was looking for. I added the additional step of:

cd /usr/local/bin
ln -s ../../../Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.3/bin/pip pip

Works, like a charm.

(aside. I do not use GoogleGroups, but have been accused of somehow sending email that looks like I do. Does this email look like that?)