Data structure question

Joseph L. Casale jcasale at activenetwerx.com
Sun Nov 17 21:43:09 EST 2013

> Not entirely sure I understand you, can you post an example?
>
> If what you mean is that you need to locate the function (lambda) when
> you know its corresponding strings, a dict will suit you just fine.
> Either maintain two dicts for the two separate strings (eg if they're
> "name" and "location" and you know whether you're looking up a name or
> a location), or maintain a single dict with two entries per tuple (one
> for each string). That gives you efficient and clean lookups.

Hey guys,
Basically I have several mappings like the following:

'string_a', 'string_b', lambda s: ...

I need to be able to index a mapping (there are ~100) by either string_a or
string_b and at one point with one of those strings I would pull the lambda
or the other string.

The important part is getting the row by either of the two strings. I know I
could just subclass dict and look it up the hardway with __missing__, just
wondered if something elegant existed already. I may only know string_b and
need string_a and the lambda.

Thanks!
jlc