Fire Method by predefined string!

Ian Kelly ian.g.kelly at gmail.com
Sun Nov 17 17:09:05 EST 2013

On Sun, Nov 17, 2013 at 2:46 PM, Tamer Higazi <th982a at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi people!
>
> Assume we have 2 methods, one called Fire and the other __DoSomething.
>
> I want the param which is a string to be converted, that I can fire
> directly a method. Is it somehow possible in python, instead of writing
> if else statements ???!
>

> Tamer
>

> class(object):
>     def Fire(self,param)
>         #possible ?!
>         self.__param():
>

>     def _DoSomething(self):
>         print 'I did it!'

You can use the getattr function to resolve an attribute (such as a
method) on an object by name.  For example:

class Spam(object):
    def fire(self, name):
        method = getattr(self, name)
        method()

Note that if the parameter is derived from untrusted user input, this
can be a potential security hole, as the user can potentially name
*any* attribute of the object.