Self-defence

Nikos nikos at superhost.gr
Sun Nov 17 12:16:34 EST 2013

Στις 17/11/2013 7:09 μμ, ο/η Zero Piraeus έγραψε:
> :
>
> Note: I drafted a version of this post earlier today. I had been waiting
> to see whether Nikos succeeded in baiting the list into yet another
> round of unpleasantness before sending it, because I didn't want to
> worsen the situation, but at this point things are completely out of
> hand, and even what looks like a consensus attempt to ignore Nikos out
> of existence is
>
> a) failing: I count eighteen emails so far today.
>
> b) going to lead casual visitors to assume either that we ignore
> requests for help or that the list is Nikos' personal echo chamber.
>
> At this point I consider Nikos' actions a conscious attack on the list.
> There is simply no way, after the many times he's been told not to
> repost, that this is anything other than a direct and deliberate attempt
> to annoy as many people as he can.
>
> That being the case, I'd like to know whether there are technical
> measures that can be taken to prevent him from posting here.
>
> I understand that the mail/news gateway might complicate that, and that
> any measures taken could be bypassed by someone with sufficient skill. I
> suspect that in this particular case the latter issue is less relevant
> than it might otherwise be.
>
> I don't believe that killfiles are a sufficient response in this
> situation.
>
> I can, of course, stop Nikos' posts reaching me, and without too much
> hassle also stop replies to his posts reaching me. He would, however,
> continue to pollute the list in public, and his posts, whether replied
> to or not at the volume he's now sending them, would continue to damage
> the reputation of the list and, ultimately, I think possibly kill it.
>
> This is a last-ditch request, and not one I particularly expect to
> succeed, but I honestly can't stand to watch this happen to python-list
> for very much longer, and am very close to unsubscribing after six years
> as an admittedly not very active member.
>
>   -[]z.

Is this your doing?

[18:03:55 secure root at 4385109 /lib64]cPs# ls -al |grep libkey
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 Jun 22 2012 libkeyutils.so.1 ->
libkeyutils.so.1.3.0*

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 10192 Jun 22 2012 libkeyutils.so.1.3*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 32920 Jun 22 2012 libkeyutils.so.1.3.0*
[18:03:57 secure root at 4385109 /lib64]cPs# rpm -qf libkeyutils.so.1.3.0
file /lib64/libkeyutils.so.1.3.0 is not owned by any package

It appears that my server has been compromised with a malicious payload
designed to sniff for and steal server passwords.

I'am sure this is your doing Zero Piraeus.

--
What is now proved was at first only imagined!