Python3 and its messed up modules which cannot even get installed properly

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Nov 17 10:39:08 EST 2013

On 17/11/2013 15:06, Ned Batchelder wrote:
> On Sunday, November 17, 2013 9:42:25 AM UTC-5, Mark Lawrence wrote:
>> On 17/11/2013 14:17, Nikos wrote:
>>> ======================================================
>>> root at secure [~/distribute-0.6.49]# pip install pygeoip
>>> Downloading/unpacking pygeoip
>>> Downloading pygeoip-0.3.0.tar.gz (97kB): 97kB downloaded
>>> Running setup.py egg_info for package pygeoip
>>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>> File "<string>", line 16, in <module>
>>> File "/usr/lib/python3.3/encodings/ascii.py", line 26, in decode
>>> return codecs.ascii_decode(input, self.errors)[0]
>>> UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xc3 in position
>>> 1098: ordinal not in range(128)
>>> Complete output from command python setup.py egg_info:
>>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>>
>>> File "<string>", line 16, in <module>
>>>
>>> File "/usr/lib/python3.3/encodings/ascii.py", line 26, in decode
>>>
>>> return codecs.ascii_decode(input, self.errors)[0]
>>>
>>> UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xc3 in position
>>> 1098: ordinal not in range(128)
>>> ======================================================
>>>

>>> Not only the fucking thing is so trouble to install but now we have to
>>> the damn module ourselves.
>>>

>> May I most humbly suggest that you stop this behaviour before she gets
>> extremely angry and completely destroys your web site, rather than
>> simply change one or two pieces of data.
>>
>> Incidentally I do like your signature "What is now proved was at first
>> only imagined!".  This perfectly summarises your posting over the last
>> couple of hours.
>>
>> Mark Lawrence
>
> May I humbly suggest that if you want fewer and shorter noisy Nikos threads, then this sort of taunting is counter-productive.  It will only add to them.
>
> --Ned.

I have just typed up a response and as I often do hit delete rather than
send.

Rather I would like to say for the benefit of newbies, lurkers and the
like that while some of us here (sadly sometimes myself) have been
reenacting the Batley Townswomen's Guild reenactment of the Battle of
Pearl Harbour, over on the bug tracker people are working their butts
off getting Python 3.4 ready for beta release next weekend.  Just
something to dwell on for everybody.

But the best has yet to be invented.  Christian Tismer

Mark Lawrence