How to round trip python and sqlite dates

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Nov 16 21:16:49 EST 2013

All the references regarding the subject that I can find, e.g.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1829872/read-datetime-back-from-sqlite-as-a-datetime-in-python,
talk about creating a table in memory using the timestamp type from the
Python layer.  I can't see how to use that for a file on disk, so after
a bit of RTFM I came up with this.

import sqlite3
from datetime import datetime, date

def datetime2date(datetimestr):
     return datetime.strptime(datetimestr, '%Y-%m-%d')

sqlite3.register_converter('DATETIME', datetime2date)

db = sqlite3.connect(r'C:\Users\Mark\Cash\Data\test.sqlite',
detect_types=sqlite3.PARSE_DECLTYPES)
c = db.cursor()
c.execute('delete from temp')
row = 'DWP ESA', date(2013,11,18), 'Every two weeks', 143.4, date.max
c.execute('insert into temp values (?,?,?,?,?)', row)
c.execute('select * from temp')
row = c.fetchone()
nextdate = row[1]
print(nextdate, type(nextdate))

Run it and

Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "C:\Users\Mark\MyPython\mytest.py", line 13, in <module>
     c.execute('select * from temp')
   File "C:\Users\Mark\MyPython\mytest.py", line 7, in datetime2date
     return datetime.strptime(datetimestr, '%Y-%m-%d')
TypeError: must be str, not bytes

However if I comment out the register_converter line this output is printed

2013-11-18 <class 'str'>

Further digging in the sqlite3 file dbapi2.py I found references to
convert_date and convert_timestamp, but putting print statements in them
and they didn't appear to be called.

So how do I achieve the round trip that I'd like, or do I simply cut my
loses and use strptime on the string that I can see returned?

Note that I won't be checking replies, if any, for several hours as it's
now 02:15 GMT and I'm heading back to bed.

But the best has yet to be invented.  Christian Tismer

Mark Lawrence