PYTHON 3.4 LEFTOVERS

Nikos nikos at superhost.gr
Sat Nov 16 12:00:04 EST 2013

Στις 16/11/2013 6:46 μμ, ο/η YBM έγραψε:
> Le 16.11.2013 17:30, Ferrous Cranus a écrit :
>> Mark wrote:
>>
>>> If you have to deliberately post like this in an attempt to annoy
>>> people, would you please not do so using double spaced google crap as
>>> it's very annoying, thank you in anticipation.
>>
>> Sure thing Mark, here:
>>
>> root at secure [~]# find / -name python3.4 | rm -rf
>>
>> root at secure [~]# locate python3.4
>> /root/.local/lib/python3.4
>> /usr/local/include/python3.4m
>> /usr/local/lib/libpython3.4m.a
>> /usr/local/lib/python3.4
>> /usr/local/share/man/man1/python3.4.1
>>
>> still there!!!
>
> You are utterly stupid:
>
> 1st: rm does not read its standard input so doing
> whatever | rm -fr is useless
>
> 2st: even if it had worked (i.e. removed the files) they
> would still appear with locate, as locate is just reading
> a database build every day by updatedb (using find btw)
>
> What you want to do can be done this way :
>
> find / -name python3.4 -exec rm -rf {} \;
> updatedb
> locate python3.4
>
> but you'd better go to hell first.

Even if you told me to go to hell i will overcome that and i need to
thank you because this indeed worked.

Why is this find / -name python3.4 -exec rm -rf {} \;

different from:

find / -name python3.4 | rm -rf

Doesn't any command take its input via STDIN or from a text file or from
another's command output?

If the above was true then wouldn't linux displayed an error when i issued:

find / -name python3.4 | rm -rf
locate python3.4 | rm -rf

The fact that it hasn't and it has indeed deleted many files proved that
rm as an other linux command can take input from another's command output.