Unicode stdin/stdout

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Mon Nov 18 06:47:56 EST 2013

On 15/11/2013 18:16, random832 at fastmail.us wrote:
> Of course, the real solution to this issue is to replace sys.stdout on
> windows with an object that can handle Unicode directly with the
> WriteConsoleW function - the problem there is that it will break code
> that expects to be able to use sys.stdout.buffer for binary I/O. I also
> wasn't able to get the analogous stdin replacement class to work with
> input() in my attempts.

I started to use this on my windows installation

#c:\python33\lib\site-packages\sitecustomize.py
import sys, codecs
sys.stdout = codecs.getwriter("utf-8")(sys.stdout.detach())
sys.stderr = codecs.getwriter("utf-8")(sys.stderr.detach())

which makes them writable with any unicode; after many years I am quite used to
garbage appearing in the windows console.

Unfortunately the above doesn't go into virtual environments, but I assume a
hacked site.py could do that.
--
Robin Becker