python 3.3 repr

Antoon Pardon antoon.pardon at rece.vub.ac.be
Fri Nov 15 10:49:26 EST 2013

Op 15-11-13 16:39, Robin Becker schreef:

>> Dealing with bytes and Unicode is complicated, and the 2->3 transition
>> is not easy, but let's please not spread the misunderstanding that
>> somehow the Flexible String Representation is at fault.  However you
>> store Unicode code points, they are different than bytes, and it is
>> complex having to deal with both.  You can't somehow make the
>> dichotomy go away, you can only choose where you want to think about it.
>>
>> --Ned.
> I don't think that's what I said; the flexible representation is just an
> added complexity ...

No it is not, at least not for python programmers. (It of course is for
the python implementors). The python programmer doesn't have to care
about the flexible representation, just as the python programmer doesn't
have to care about the internal reprensentation of (long) integers. It
is an implemantation detail that is mostly ignorable.

--
Antoon Pardon