understanding someone else's program

William Ray Wing wrw at mac.com
Fri Nov 15 08:50:02 EST 2013

On Nov 15, 2013, at 6:05 AM, C. Ng <ngcbmy at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Please suggest how I can understand someone else's program where
> - documentation is sparse
> - in function A, there will be calls to function B, C, D.... and in those functions will be calls to functions R,S,T.... and so on so forth... making it difficult to trace what happens to a certain variable
>
> Am using ERIC4 IDE.
>
> Thanks.
> --

The other suggestions you have received are good places to start.  I'd add only one other - that you consider running the code inside an IDE and single-stepping through as you watch what happens to the variables.  As you get a better and better feel for what the code is doing, you can move up from single stepping to setting break points before and after places you are still scratching you head over.

-Bill