Several Topics - Nov. 19, 2013

E.D.G. edgrsprj at ix.netcom.com
Tue Nov 19 06:26:16 EST 2013

>> "E.D.G." <edgrsprj at ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
>> news:ro-dnch2dPtbRhnPnZ2dnUVZ_rSdnZ2d at earthlink.com...
Posted by E.D.G. on November 19, 2013

1.  PERL PDL CALCULATION SPEED VERSUS PYTHON AND FORTRAN

2.  COMPUTER PROGRAMMING PROJECTS

PERL PDL CALCULATION SPEED VERSUS PYTHON AND FORTRAN

       This program translation project has become one of the most
surprisingly successful programming projects I have worked on to date.  A
considerable amount of valuable information has been sent to me by E-mail in
addition to all of the information posted to the Newsgroups.

       The original posts actually discussed calculation speed matters
involving Perl and Python.  And responses indicated that there were ways to
develop routines that could dramatically accelerate Python calculations.
But it did not sound like there were any for Perl.

However, a kind soul sent me the following references:

http://pdl.perl.org/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IE-vnnRWiOg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf1yfZ2yUFo

       From what I can see, PDL represents a group of modules that can be
linked with Perl to do faster calculations and to generate charts.  I gather
that it converts calculations directly to the C language so that they run
faster.  And now I am wondering how those calculations would compare with
Python and Fortran and the other programs listed on the following Web page:

http://julialang.org/

       As soon as possible I am planning to give the PDL modules a try
myself and see if they help with my present Perl calculation speed
limitations.

       Does anyone have any comments they can add regarding PDL (for posting
in the Perl Newsgroup)?

       Would those PDL modules be available on Internet Servers that let
users develop and run Perl CGI programs?  Or would they need to be specially
installed?

COMPUTER PROGRAMMING PROJECTS

       As most people visiting these Newsgroups probably know, computers run
our world.  And therefore, computer programmers at least indirectly run our
world.  As an experienced scientist who does some programming work I myself
am fully aware of that.  But relatively few other scientists are.  And
almost no government officials appear to be.  And they are the ones who have
all of the money.

       As an experienced scientist I regularly send free technical advice to
governments and nongovernmental organizations (NGOs) around the world
regarding humanitarian projects.  Some of my past efforts have been highly
successful.  And because I am so aware of the importance of computer
programming to the success of most efforts I can be especially effective
when discussing proposed projects.  I know enough about computer
programming, electronics, and machine shop usage that I can provide the
government officials with exact instructions for how they should proceed
with developing some project.

       For example, sometimes the best way to get something done is with a
specially designed electronic circuit.  At other times it is more efficient
to use a microprocessor to do the data processing.

       There are several highly important computer programming intensive
projects that I have been attempting to get our governments to develop for
some time.  They are in my opinion needed by people around the world.  I
have several Web sites that were created so that information could be easily
circulated regarding those projects.  And as time permits I plan to start
discussing them in various computer language Newsgroups.

       An effort is also in progress to get some modifications made to the
U.S. Government Petitions Web Site so that it works a little better and is
of more use to people.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/

      It has been my personal experience that our government officials who
decide which projects should get funding and how many computer programmers
etc. need to be hired for this or that effort usually know so little about
the work that computer programmers and even scientists do that they often
don't have any idea regarding how to solve various problems and also often
don't even know that certain problems exist.

These are personal opinions.