Odd msg received from list

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Nov 14 09:26:53 EST 2013

On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 1:11 AM, Roy Smith <roy at panix.com> wrote:
> In article <mailman.2591.1384437196.18130.python-list at python.org>,
>  Verde Denim <tdldev at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I got an odd message this morning from the list telling me that my
>> account was de-activated due to excessive bounces. I've only sent a
>> handful of messages to this board, but do read an awful lot of the posts
>> in order to learn more about the language. The message also listed my
>> account password, which I found odd. Has anyone else received a message
>> like this?
>
> This sounds like a variation of a classic phishing scam.  You get an
> email which looks official, telling you that some account you have has
> been suspended because you need to verify some information.  The wording
> of the message is always vague about exactly what account this is.
>
> Don't click on any of the links.  At best, they're harvesting email
> addresses.  At worst, they're harvesting personal information which can
> be used for identity theft, credit card fraud, or all sorts of
> malfeasance.

I agree in general, but I happen to be pretty familiar with Mailman
alerts, and this one was genuine. Also, it pointed to what does appear
to be the right address (mail.python.org). There's definitely
something going around that's causing problems for gmail users; maybe
spam is getting bounced/rejected instead of being dropped?

ChrisA