Most discussion on comp.lang.python is about developing with Python

Rick Johnson rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com
Wed Nov 13 19:41:55 EST 2013

Hello Bob,

I understand your concern but you need to realize there is
not much that can (or should) be done *IF* we want to live in
societies that are free from oppression.

The minute we start drawing lines in the sand and punishing
people for exercising their freedom of speech, is when we
start living under Fascism -- and trust me friend;  trolls,
spammers and flamers are nothing compared to overzealous
nanny police forcing other people to live by rules they
refuse to live by themselves. Is Bloomberg ringing a bell[*]

  WHERE DO WE DRAW THE LINE?

You cannot create social rules in ANY society that do not
infringe upon the personal freedom of others. We ALL have a
right to express ourselves.

  HOWEVER,

when we live in a free society we must accept that
some people will be annoying; some will be rude; some will
be friendly; some will be hostile; or any number of
unpleasing emotional states.

Learning to "tune out" what we find offensive and "tune in"
what we find pleasing (or interesting) is part of being a
member of any free society.

 SOMETIMES, YOU JUST GOTTA PUT YOUR "BIG BOY" PANTS ON.

One aspect about online forums (unlike real life) is that
you can avoid people (or opinions) you find offensive simply
by choosing not to read their words.

But, at the end of the day, ask yourself: "What can a troll,
a flamer, or a spammer do to me anyway?" Answer is: only
that which you allow them to do. Then ask yourself: "What
could the gestapo[**] do to me?"

 "POWER CORRUPTS: ABSOLUTE POWER CORRUPTS ABSOLUTELY."

PS: Funny thing about threads requesting "group
moderation"... they have a tendency to digress into flame
wars -- ain't life a beach?

[*] That sanctimonious prick!
[**] Does "gestapo" qualify as evoking Godwins Law?