Trying tcompile an use the Python 3.4a

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Wed Nov 13 11:13:23 EST 2013

On Wed, 13 Nov 2013 16:17:22 +0200, Ferrous Cranus wrote:

> $ mkdir temp
> $ cd temp
> $ wget http://www.python.org/ftp/python/3.4/Python-3.4.tar.bz2 $ tar
> -xjvf Python-3.4.tar.bz2
> $ cd Python-3.3.2
> $ ./configure
> $ make && make test
> $ su
> # make install
> # exit
> $ $ cd ../ && rm -rf Python-3.4
>

> root at secure [/home/nikos/www/cgi-bin]# python3 -V Python 3.4.0a4
>

> can yu please tell me where python 3.4a was placed in the system?
>
> i tried
>
> #!/usr/bin/python3
> #!/usr/local/bin/python3

And did they work? What result did you get? You've been here long enough
that you ought to know better than to post a question like this without
showing the actual error that you received.

> and also is there a way to call it like #!/usr/bin/python

Of course there is, but only if you wish to break your system. The OS
will be expecting /usr/bin/python to be Python 2. Leave it be.

> i know it can be done via ln 0s but i have to know where the newest
> python got installed.

Here's one way (although not the best):

sudo updatedb
locate python | grep bin

Or, you can start up the Python version of your choice, then do:

py> import sys
py> sys.executable
'/usr/local/bin/python2.5'

--