[Python-Dev] The pysandbox project is broken

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Tue Nov 12 18:16:44 EST 2013

On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 8:16 AM, Victor Stinner
<victor.stinner at gmail.com> wrote:
> In 2010, a developper called Tav wrote a sandbox called "safelite.py":
> the sandbox hides sensitive attributes to separate a trusted namespace
> and an untrusted namespace.

Ha, I come full circle. This was the exact project that brought me to
this list (for better or for worse!), as we were trying to sandbox
Python code inside C++. Same sort of thing - we wanted free access to
whatever it could do in memory, but no FS or OS access (and limits on
total memory and CPU usage, though they're less critical as I can use
OS APIs to do that). Conclusion: Either utterly impossible, or so hard
as to be not worth the hassle. We switched to JavaScript, though I do
maintain some regret that we couldn't use the better language.

It's probably too late for that project to switch back now (and I've
left the company), but as a matter of intellectual curiosity, I'm
still somewhat interested.

ChrisA