Some python newb help please?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Tue Nov 12 17:58:44 EST 2013

On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 9:27 AM,  <lrwarren94 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not quite sure what you mean by that. it was on that pastebin link. I'll post it again here though. it's no longer than half a page.

Inline means what you did in this post. Out-of-line means providing us
with a link to where the code is.

This forum isn't just a Google Groups web-based discussion group; it's
primarily a newsgroup (comp.lang.python) and an email address
(python-list at python.org). Both of those can be read by people who
don't have internet access, so putting your code in an http link might
prevent them from reading it. Also, the group/list gets archived all
over the place, and there's no guarantee that pastebin will still be
around a hundred years from now. It's an unnecessary dependency, which
inline code doesn't have. That's why posting right here is the safe
option :)

Two general comments. Firstly, you're using Python 2 here. Is there a
reason for that? If you possibly can, switch to Python 3. All sorts of
things have been improved, and the gap is only going to widen - there
won't be a Python 2.8, and subsequent 2.7.x releases are bugfixes and
security patches only. All the new shinies are in 3.x. And secondly,
please PLEASE avoid Google Groups; your quoted text is ugly and
annoying, and your own text isn't wrapped. Check this out, and
preferably, find an alternative means of posting:

https://wiki.python.org/moin/GoogleGroupsPython

ChrisA