Some python newb help please?

lrwarren94 at gmail.com lrwarren94 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 12 17:27:37 EST 2013

On Tuesday, November 12, 2013 4:21:58 PM UTC-6, Mark Lawrence wrote:
> On 12/11/2013 22:14, lr.... at gmail.com wrote:
>
> > So I'm trying to write a program for a problem in class, and something strange is happening that I can't figure out why is happening. I was wondering if you guys could help me fix it?
>

> > http://pastebin.com/6QZTvx6Z
>

> > Basically, 1 and 2 work just fine as inputs, but whenever I input 3 or 4, idle just doesn't do anything. Does anyone know why that is? any suggestions on how to fix? Any help is much appreciated :)
>

> Please put your code inline so we can see it, if it's too long see this
>
> http://sscce.org/ for advice.
>

> --
>
> Python is the second best programming language in the world.
>
> But the best has yet to be invented.  Christian Tismer
>

> Mark Lawrence

I'm not quite sure what you mean by that. it was on that pastebin link. I'll post it again here though. it's no longer than half a page.

x = 0
y = 0
quitCommand = 0

print "Welcome to the World of Textcraft!"
print "----------------------------------"
print ""

while quitCommand != int(5):
    print "You are currently at (" + str(x) + ", " + str(y) + ")"
    print "Enter a command (1 = North, 2 = East, 3 = South, 4 = West, 5 = Exit):"
    if int(raw_input()) == 1:
            print "Moving north"
            y = y + 1
    elif int(raw_input()) == 2:
            print "Moving east"
            x = x + 1
    elif int(raw_input()) == 3:
            print "Moving south"
            y = y - 1
    elif int(raw_input()) == 4:
            print "Moving west"
            x = x - 1
    elif int(raw_input()) == 5:
            print "Dost thou leave so soon? Fare thee well!"
            quitCommand = 5
    else:
            print "I find your lack of reading comprehension skills disturbing."