Creating a function for a directory

Joel Goldstick joel.goldstick at gmail.com
Mon Nov 11 17:36:55 EST 2013

On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 5:26 PM, Matt <mattgraves7 at gmail.com> wrote:
> So I want to take the file, "desktop/test.txt" and write it to "desktop/newfolder/test.txt". I tried the below script, and it gave me: "IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'desktop/%s.txt'". Any suggestions would be great.

Its better in the future to cut and paste the traceback rather than
paraphrase...

That being said, it can't find the in_file.  Maybe you aren't in the
directory above desktop?  Try specifying a complete path, instead of
relative.  Once you solve that, be sure the ouput path is specificed
completely and that it exists.

> def firstdev(file):
>         in_file = open("desktop/%s.txt") % file
>         indata = in_file.read()
>         out_file = open("desktop/newfolder/%s.txt", 'w') % file
>         out_file.write(indata)
>         out_file.close()
>         in_file.close()
>
> firstdev("test")