Getting globals of the caller, not the defining module

sg552 at hotmail.co.uk sg552 at hotmail.co.uk
Mon Nov 11 07:02:41 EST 2013

(Sorry for posting through GG, I'm at work.)

On Monday, November 11, 2013 11:25:42 AM UTC, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> Suppose I have a function that needs access to globals:
>
> # module A.py
> def spam():
>     g = globals()  # this gets globals from A
>     introspect(g)
>
> As written, spam() only sees its own globals, i.e. those of the module in
> which spam is defined. But I want spam to see the globals of the caller.
>
> # module B
> import A
> A.spam()  # I want spam to see globals from B
>
> I can have the caller explicitly pass the globals itself:
>
> def spam(globs=None):
>     if globs is None:
>         globs = globals()
>     introspect(globs)
>
> But since spam is supposed to introspect as much information as possible,
> I don't really want to do that. What (if anything) are my other options?

How about this?

# module A.py
import inspect
def spam():
    return inspect.stack()[1][0].f_globals

# module B.py
import A
print(A.spam() is globals()) # prints True
def f():
    return A.spam()

# module C.py
import B
print(B.f() is vars(B)) # prints True

I don't really know what I'm doing but I guess it won't work in alternative implementations of Python.