datetime question

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Tue Nov 12 19:40:01 EST 2013

On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 11:30 AM, Dennis Lee Bieber
<wlfraed at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Nov 2013 13:02:58 +1100, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com>
> declaimed the following:
>
>>On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 12:59 PM, Dennis Lee Bieber
>><wlfraed at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>>>         Of course, I'm spoiled... My /watch/ has a dial for UTC, along with one
>>> for 24-hour indication (one hand, range 1 to 24)
>>
>>Heh. Mine doesn't, so I bought myself a second watch and set it to
>>UTC. So my left hand has local time (changes at DST breaks, changes
>>when I travel internationally), and my right hand has UTC (never
>>changes).
>>

> http://www.amazon.com/Citizen-JY0000-53E-Skyhawk-Eco-Drive-Watch/dp/B000ZPMYQI
>
>         Only watch I've ever heard of having a recall... The radio synch logic
> fell apart a few years back, and lost a day. As a result mine now has a
> mark from a small center punch on the back to identify it as having had its
> firmware redone.
>
>         I recall the sales lady's blunder... After persuading me on this model
> (it was replacing an earlier Citizen Navi-Hawk as I recall) she tried to
> sell me a battery replacement service plan -- for a watch that charges via
> solar panel!

My UTC watch is an Eco-Drive too, but without radio sync, and much
simpler all round than yours. And roughly half the price, and that
counting the Amazon price not the list price. I don't think I could
justify to myself spending $650 on a second watch!!

If only more people would start "thinking UTC", all sorts of
synchronization problems would vanish.

ChrisA