chunking a long string?

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Fri Nov 8 13:24:40 EST 2013

Oh my, it turns out I don't really need to do this after all, due to previously undiscovered uber-coolness in the tools I'm using!

My use case is that from inside of a Django view, I needed to retrieve a large file via a HTTP GET, and serve that back up, with some time delays inserted into the data stream.  Turns out, requests (uber-cool tool #1) provides a way to iterate over the content of a GET, and Django (uber-cool tool #2) provides a way to build a HttpResponse from the data in an iterator.  Epiphany!  I ended up with (essentially) this:

def stream_slow(request, song_id):
    """Streams a song, but does it extra slowly, for client testing
    purposes.

    """
    def _slow_stream(r, chunk_size):
        for chunk in r.iter_content(chunk_size):
            yield chunk
            time.sleep(0.1)

    url = get_url(song_id)
    response = requests.get(url, stream=True)
    return HttpResponse(_slow_stream(response, 1024))

On Nov 8, 2013, at 12:59 PM, Nick Cash wrote:

>> I have a long string (several Mbytes).  I want to iterate over it in manageable chunks
>
> This is a weirdly common question. See http://stackoverflow.com/questions/312443/how-do-you-split-a-list-into-evenly-sized-chunks-in-python for several solutions.
>
> It's been proposed to be added to itertools before, but rejected: https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-ideas/2012-July/015671.html and http://bugs.python.org/issue13095
>
> - Nick Cash

---