Talking to a 'C' program

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Fri Nov 8 10:04:03 EST 2013

On 2013-11-08, Oscar Benjamin <oscar.j.benjamin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8 November 2013 14:23, John Pote <johnhpote at o2.co.uk> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have the task of testing some embedded 'C' code for a small
>> micro-controller. Thought it would be a good idea to test it on the
>> PC first to make sure the algorithm is correct then perhaps test it
>> on the controller via RS232 and an appropriate wrapper round the 'C'
>> functions.
>>
>> On the PC I can use Python's unit test library module and logging to
>> create a nice and easy to use environment (I like Python). So my
>> question is how to communicate from Python to the C module on the PC.
>> What I'd like is simplicity and ease of setting up. All I can think
>> of myself is to use sockets.
>>
>> Any ideas on how to do this would be gratefully appreciated.
>
> Have a look at Cython:
> http://cython.org/
>
> This enables you to call C code from Python code within the same
> process.

You can also use c-types for that

  http://docs.python.org/2/library/ctypes.html#module-ctypes

I've used Python/ctypes to exercise libraries written in C, but I've
never done it under Windows.  However, others have:

http://hakantiftikci.wordpress.com/2009/11/14/generating-dll-using-mingw-and-using-them-in-python-via-ctypes/

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! Give them RADAR-GUIDED
                                  at               SKEE-BALL LANES and