grammar (was Re: Automation)

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sat Nov 16 23:16:55 EST 2013

On Sun, Nov 17, 2013 at 3:07 PM, MRAB <python at mrabarnett.plus.com> wrote:
> On 17/11/2013 03:44, Andrew Berg wrote:
>>
>> On 2013.11.16 11:02, Paul Smith wrote:
>>>
>>> The one that really irks me is people using "loose" when they mean
>>> "lose".  These words are not related, and they don't sound the
>>> same. Plus this mistake is very common; I typically see it at least
>>> once a day.
>>
>> Don't be surprised if such people pronounce them the same; a lot of
>> such errors are caused by learning incorrect pronunciation. For
>> example, people often write 'should of' because that is what they
>> hear (and what they end up saying).
>>
> I get annoyed by those who say "pronounciation"...

I decided a while ago that my life would be alot better[1] if I didn't
get annoyed at misuse of English, but instead used it as a source of
amusement. Oddities can be found everywhere... our hymn book at church
has one nasty oops where a "not" is mistyped as "now", rather changing
the sense of the sentence. And sometimes it doesn't even take a single
letter of difference - someone who'd recently been doing all the
touristy stuff around Europe was discussing the historical Battle of
Thermopylae, and said "Some of us were there (pause) earlier this
year" - several people began snickering in the pause.

ChrisA

[1] Bahahahaha, trolled you!