Automation

Larry Hudson orgnut at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 16 01:17:07 EST 2013

On 11/15/2013 07:02 AM, Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2013-11-15, Paul Rudin <paul.nospam at rudin.co.uk> wrote:
>> Steven D'Aprano <steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info> writes:
>>
>>> A few minor errors is one thing, but when you see people whose posts are
>>> full of error after error and an apparent inability to get English syntax
>>> right, you have to wonder how on earth they expect to be a programmer?
>>
>> The irritating thing is apparent lack of care. A post is written once
>> and will be seen (perhaps not read) by many people. People post with the
>> intention of others reading their words. If they can't be bothered to
>> take a little care in writing, why should we spend time reading?
>
> Just because English is your second language it doesn't mean you don't
> need to pay attention to what keys you're hitting and proof-read a
> posting before hitting "send".
>
> And yes, people can _easily_ tell the difference between errors caused
> by being lazy/sloppy and errors caused by writing in a second
> language.

Not to start another flame-war (I hope), but our Greek friend is a good example of that.  It's
not surprising he has so much trouble with his code.

However, that's just a side comment.  I wanted to mention my personal peeve...

I notice it's surprisingly common for people who are native English-speakers to use 'to' in
place of 'too' (to little, to late.), "your" in place of "you're" (Your an idiot!) and 'there'
in place of 'their' (a foot in there mouth.)  There are similar mis-usages, of course, but those
three seem to be the most common.

Now, I'm a 76-year-old curmudgeon and maybe overly sensitive, but I felt a need to vent a bit.

      -=- Larry -=-