Automation

Alister alister.ware at ntlworld.com
Fri Nov 15 15:45:42 EST 2013

On Fri, 15 Nov 2013 20:12:27 +0000, Alister wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Nov 2013 16:53:58 +0000, Neil Cerutti wrote:
>
>> On 2013-11-15, Steven D'Aprano <steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Apparently you can "barley" write UK English either :-)
>>>
>>> No offence intended, I just thought that was an amusing error to make.
>>> The word you're after is "barely", barley is a grain similar to wheat
>>> or oats. Also "far too arrogant".
>
> Damn Spell checker, at least it chose a good pun I could almost get away
> with claiming it was deliberate ;-)
>
> But also proves the point that if an Englishman can make simple mistakes
> after nearly half a century of usage then the no native speakers should
> be admired for doing as well as they do,
>>
>> I just learned about this kind of error yesterday while browsing the
>> programming reddit!
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muphry's_law
>
> except I was not correcting/criticising a grammatical error but
> defending those than make them.

and if you haven't seen it before :-

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in
waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht
the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl
mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn
mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

--
Liar:
	one who tells an unpleasant truth.