Automation

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Fri Nov 15 01:25:52 EST 2013

On Thu, 14 Nov 2013 20:03:44 +0000, Alister wrote:

> As a native of England I have to agree it is far to arrogant to expect
> everyone else to be able to speak good English when I can barley order a
> beer in any other language. (even or especially in the USA)

Apparently you can "barley" write UK English either :-)

No offence intended, I just thought that was an amusing error to make.
The word you're after is "barely", barley is a grain similar to wheat or
oats. Also "far too arrogant".

But yes, English is a tricky language. Who would imagine that "ghoti"
could legitimately be pronounced "fish"?

"gh" sounds like F, as in "enough" (enuf)

"o" sounds like I, as in "women" (wimmin)

"ti" sounds like SH, as in "station" (stayshun)

--
Steven