How to add a current string into an already existing list

Nick the Gr33k nikos.gr33k at gmail.com
Sat Nov 2 12:25:31 EDT 2013

Στις 2/11/2013 3:03 μμ, ο/η Andreas Perstinger έγραψε:
> On 02.11.2013 12:58, Nick the Gr33k wrote:
>> Trying to add the current filename into the existent 'downloads' column
>> Somehow i don't think i just use the plus sign into an existing column.
>> We don't try to add numbers here but add an extra string to an already
>> existing array of strings(list).
>
> [SNIP]
>
>> # update specific visitor's download record
>> cur.execute('''UPDATE visitors SET downloads = downloads + %s WHERE host
>> = %s''', (filename, host) )
>
> Well, when do you understand that your MySQL problems have nothing to do
> with Python?
>
> Everything inside the triple quotes is MySQL specific, so it's a MySQL
> problem whether you can use + to "add an extra string to an already
> existing array of strings(list)".
>
> This list is not a MySQL support forum.
>
> Bye, Andreas

[code]
		# find out if visitor had downloaded torrents in the past
		cur.execute('''SELECT torrent FROM files WHERE host = %s''', host )
		data = cur.fetchall()

		downloads = []
		if data:
			for torrent in data:
				downloads.append( torrent )
		else:
			downloads = 'None Yet'

		# add this visitor entry into database (host && downloads are unique)
		cur.execute('''INSERT INTO visitors (counterID, refs, host, city,
useros, browser, visits, downloads) VALUES (%s, %s, %s, %s, %s, %s, %s,
%s)''', (cID, refs, host, city, useros, browser, visits, downloads) )
[/code]

This works bit questios thas arises is what is its difference compare to:

downloads.append( torrent )

Are both these statements create a list?
But in the latter we get the famous:
pymysql.err.InternalError: (1241, 'Operand should contain 1 column(s)')

while in the join() we arent getting this.

I just want a mysql column type that can be eligible to store an array
of elements, a list that is, no need for having a seperate extra table
for that if we can have a column that can store a list of values.

--
What is now proved was at first only imagined! & WebHost
<http://superhost.gr>