multiprocessing: child process race to answer (forgot to Cc: the list)

William Ray Wing wrw at mac.com
Sat Nov 2 23:07:42 EDT 2013

On Nov 2, 2013, at 11:44 AM, Sherard Hall <smhall05 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you for the response. Processing time is very important so I suspect having to write to disk will take more time than letting the other processes complete without finding the answer. So I did some profiling one process finds the answer in about 250ms, but since I can't stop the other processes, it takes about 800ms before I can use the answer.  Do you recommend a global variable flag? Any other suggestions?
>
> On Nov 2, 2013 8:17 AM, "William Ray Wing" <wrw at mac.com> wrote:
> On Nov 2, 2013, at 1:03 AM, smhall05 <smhall05 at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Did you actually mean "pool.terminate", or is that a typo for
> >>
> >> "pool.terminate()"?

> > I am not sure to be honest, however it turns out that I can't use pool.terminate() because pool is defined in main and not accessible under my def in which I check for the correct answer.
> > --
>
> So, the simplest solution to that situation is to have whichever subprocess that finds the correct answer set a flag which the calling process can check.  Depending on your OS, that flag can be anything from setting a lock to something as simple as creating a file which the calling process periodically wakes up and looks for, maybe just a file in which the subprocess has written the answer.
>
> Bill
>
> --

Well, the multiprocessing library provides listeners and clients that wrap BSD style sockets and allow you to send (push) arbitrary python objects to a listener, i.e., the master.  There might be something better that was OS specific, but this will keep it pure python.  I've not tested it, but there is a simple example here on Stackoverflow:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6920858/interprocess-communication-in-python

-Bill