XML python to database

rusi rustompmody at gmail.com
Sat Nov 2 00:26:52 EDT 2013

On Saturday, November 2, 2013 7:31:20 AM UTC+5:30, flebber wrote:
> Yes I have done the lxml search and learnt how to open view and query the file.
> But what is the next step in the process? To get it so that I can reliably
> push XML files to my database repeatedly.

> Looking for a basic structure or example to use to guide me for first time.

I dont get where's the catch. Could be in any of
1. reliably
2. push xml
3. database
4. repeatedly
5. basic structure

I'm going to assume 5. So...

Forget about all the other stuff -- django, web, spyne etc
Just 2 pieces of the jigsaw to start with
- your database engine -- mysql, sqlite, postgres... whatever
- your xml input

with python as the glue inbetween.

1. So you can even whittle down the XML schema to something related to
what you finally need but relatively trivial
2. Make a correspondingly (if necessary trivialized) sql schema
3. Make a bit of python glue to read the first (as a file) and write
out the second
4. Debug the output
5. De-trivialize your simplifications
6. Fit into the larger framework

[I wrote the above as though to a somewhat inexperienced programmer.
An experienced programmer will find it condescending.
If so I apologize]