XML python to database

flebber flebber.crue at gmail.com
Fri Nov 1 20:31:12 EDT 2013

Can anyone help me overcome a terminology and jargon barrier I am having in fully defining what tools to use to fulfil a process.

I want to create a database 6 Related tables. Update information 1 or twice a week with data from an XML file that I will download, this data would update rows in 5 tables of the database. From there display, add, edit and view data in web page and produce other info based on this.

My main roadblock is the XML process, I am finding it unclear to understand what tools and how to manage this process. Most examples show manually inputting data.

What I know and have learnt.

 - can insert and update data into database using python(values I type in)
 - can query and view data with python from tables
 - can design good SQL related tables(don't know much NoSQL)
 - Use lxml to open view and find info from nodes of an XML file
 - Basic Django/Flask/Pylons haven't completed a sizable project yet but have completed their tutorials and have some previous web experience.

When I look for info on this process

 - Info from django leads ultimately to fixtures Django Docs, initial fixtures https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/howto/initial-data/
 - SQLAlchemy info leads http://docs.sqlalchemy.org/en/latest/orm/examples.html#xml-persistence

 - Spyne RPC toolkit   http://spyne.io/#s=sql&ser=Xml&show=Schema

 Reading these I am not sure this covers what I am actually trying to do, reliably and repeatedly update a database with XML data. Can anyone advise of the correct terminology I should be searching for to learn more. What python tools would best help me complete

Sayth