Python wart

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Fri Nov 1 05:42:53 EDT 2013

On Fri, Nov 1, 2013 at 8:32 PM, Mark Lawrence <breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> I wondered if the idea of deprecating printf style formatting might also
> come up again.  It was discussed in some depth here
> https://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2012-February/116789.html

I don't see any reason for it to go. Anyone who wants to use .format()
is welcome to; anyone who likes %s is welcome to use that. They have
sufficiently distinct styles that they don't really come into
conflict. Now, if someone wants to deprecate the "str modulo anything"
operator in favour of an explicit sprintf() function (optionally with
printf() that sends straight through to print()), that I might get
behind - but I don't see any reason to lose the printf-style
formatting codes.

ChrisA