Basic Python Questions - Oct. 31, 2013

E.D.G. edgrsprj at ix.netcom.com
Sun Nov 3 01:02:24 EST 2013

"E.D.G." <edgrsprj at ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
news:UdGdnaDGa6n9vu_PnZ2dnUVZ_umdnZ2d at earthlink.com...

       Thanks for all of the comments. I have been away from my Internet
connection for several days and could not respond to them when they were
first posted here.

       The comments have all been considered. And I am discussing them with
other researchers that I work with. Since Perl has a calculation speed limit
that is probably not easy to get around, before too long another language
will be selected for initially doing certain things such as performing
calculations and plotting charts. And the existing Perl code might then be
gradually translated into that new language.

       Gnuplot is presently being used to draw charts. And it works. But it
has its own limitations such as with its interaction speed when it is used
for working with Perl program generated data files.

       My main, complex programs won't be run at Web sites. They will
instead continue to be available as downloadable exe programs.  The CGI (or
whatever) programming work would involve relatively simple programs. But
they would need to be able to generate charts that would be displayed on Web
pages. That sounds like it is probably fairly easy to do using Python. A
Perl - Gnuplot combination is also supposed to be able to do that. But so
far I have not seen any good explanations for how to actually get Gnuplot to
run as a callable CGI program. So other programs such as Python are being
considered.