Algorithm that makes maximum compression of completly diffused data.

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Mon Nov 4 23:33:46 EST 2013

On Mon, 04 Nov 2013 14:34:23 -0800, jonas.thornvall wrote:

> Den måndagen den 4:e november 2013 kl. 15:27:19 UTC+1 skrev Dave Angel:
>> On Mon, 4 Nov 2013 05:53:28 -0800 (PST), jonas.thornvall at gmail.com
>> wrote:
[...]
>> > This is not the solution but this is why it is working.
>>
>> > 65536=256^2=16^4=***4^8***=2^16

"this" being Jonas' alleged lossless compression method capable of
compressing random data.

>> > Yes i am aware that 256 is a single byte 8 bits, but the approach
>> is valid anyway.

I must say, I cannot see the connection between the fact that 256**2 ==
2**16 and compression of random data. I might as well state that I have
squared the circle, and offer as proof that 3+4 == 5+2.

>> And e ^ (I * pi) == -1
>>
>> So what. ?
>>

> e is an approximation... and your idea is not general for any n.

e is not an approximation, it is a symbolic name for an exact
transcendental number which cannot be specified exactly by any finite
number of decimal places.

Your comment about "n" is irrelevant, since Euler's Identity e**(i*pi)=-1
has nothing to do with "n". But in case you actually meant "i", again you
are mistaken. i is a symbolic name for an exact number.

--
Steven