Too many python installations. Should i remove them all and install the latest?

Ian Kelly ian.g.kelly at gmail.com
Fri May 31 19:55:38 EDT 2013

On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 5:30 PM, Νικόλαος Κούρας <nikos.gr33k at gmail.com> wrote:
> Indeed i have comiled python 2.7 and 3.3 form source after wget and
> ./configure an make install
>
> but i belive somehting is  mixed up althouh python works ok.
>
> root at nikos [/opt/python3/bin]# ls -al
> root at nikos [/opt/python3/bin]# make help
> make: *** No rule to make target `help'.  Stop.
> root at nikos [/opt/python3/bin]#
>

> cant remove it.

The Makefile would be located in the source directory where you built
Python, not in the installation directory.  But in any case, I don't
think the Python Makefile includes an uninstall option.  If you want
to uninstall Python that was built from source, you need to remove the
files by hand.

> Why you say i cant just yum install python3.3.2

Because CentOS 6 evidently does not provide a package for any version
of Python other than 2.6.  If you want to install another version, you
will need to do it from source.