Surprising difference between StringIO.StringIO and io.StringIO

Serhiy Storchaka storchaka at gmail.com
Fri May 31 05:39:41 EDT 2013

30.05.13 23:46, Skip Montanaro написав(ла):
> Am I missing something about how io.StringIO works?  I thought it was
> a more-or-less drop-in replacement for StringIO.StringIO.

io.StringIO was backported from Python 3. It is a text (unicode) stream.
cStringIO.StringIO is a binary stream and StringIO.StringIO can be used
as binary or unicode stream depending on arguments. Use io.BaseIO as a
replacement for StringIO.StringIO/cStringIO.StringIO if you need a
binary stream.