How clean/elegant is Python's syntax?

Rick Johnson rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com
Thu May 30 19:15:50 EDT 2013

On Wednesday, May 29, 2013 7:24:48 PM UTC-5, Dan Stromberg wrote:
> About the only thing I don't like is:
>
>    var = 1,
>
> That binds var to a tuple (singleton) value, instead of 1.

I don't understand why Python needs tuples anyway; at least not tuple literals!. I mean, i like the idea of a sequence type that is immutable as much as the next fella, however, i just hate the fact that we had to pay for this type with syntactical multiplicity only to be forever a slave to it's resulting quirkiness! Psst: Guido, i think you got screwed!

(And they thought Jack was a fool for acquiring those beans!)

With the demand for type literals growing all the larger as time goes on and the ASCII char set remaining static, there must be a better way! (And no folks, I'm not suggesting space cadet keyboards!)