How clean/elegant is Python's syntax?

rusi rustompmody at gmail.com
Thu May 30 13:59:13 EDT 2013

On May 30, 10:28 pm, Chris Angelico <ros... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 3:12 AM, rusi <rustompm... at gmail.com> wrote:
> > You associate the primal (f)act of thinking about programming with
> > *doing* the generating.
> > By contrast the functional programmer thinks about what *is* the
> > result.
>
> I wish you'd explain that to my boss :) He often has trouble
> understanding why sometimes I put two syntactic statements on one
> line, such as:
>
> for (int i=0;i<nfoo;++i) if (foo[i].marker)
> {
>     //do something with foo[i]
>
> }
>
> In Python, that would probably be done with a list comprehension or
> some other form of filtered iteration, and is to my mind a single
> operation - "iterate over all the marked foo" is just as much a valid
> loop header as "iterate over all the foo". This is a simple example,
> and what you say about thinking about what *is* the result doesn't
> really translate well into a C++ example, but the broader concept
> applies: there's a difference between code as the compiler/interpreter
> sees it and code as the programmer sees it, and there is not always a
> 1:1 correspondence of statements.
>
> ChrisA

I had a blog post about line-length in programs
http://blog.languager.org/2012/10/layout-imperative-in-functional.html

followed by an interesting discussion on the haskell mailing list
http://groups.google.com/group/haskell-cafe/browse_thread/thread/f146ec7753c5db56/09eb73b1efe79fec

The comment by Alexander Solla was insightful and is probably what you
are saying.

[Probably!! I am not sure what you are saying!]