How clean/elegant is Python's syntax?

Dan Stromberg drsalists at gmail.com
Wed May 29 20:24:48 EDT 2013

On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 11:13 AM, Ma Xiaojun <damage3025 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, list.
>
> For the core language, I have mixed feeling. On one hand, I find that
> Python has some sweet feature that is quite useful. On the other hand,
> I often find Pyhton snippets around hard to understand. I admit that I
> never learned Python very formally; I've programmed in many other
> languages already.
>
> Code snippets in BASIC or Pascal seems quite obvious to understand
> (Unless I don't understand the algorithm) .

I'm finding it kind of hard to imagine not finding Python's syntax and
semantics pretty graceful.

About the only thing I don't like is:

   var = 1,

That binds var to a tuple (singleton) value, instead of 1.

Oh, and method decorators seem much more complex than they should've been.

But on the whole, python is a pretty beautiful language.  It's not just
another rehash of Pascal though; if that's what you want you might be
better off looking elsewhere.