The state of pySerial

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Wed May 29 15:47:30 EDT 2013

On 2013-05-29, Ma Xiaojun <damage3025 at gmail.com> wrote:

> pySerial is probably "the solution" for serial port programming.
> Physical serial port is dead on PC but USB-to-Serial give it a second
> life. Serial port stuff won't interest end users at all. But it is
> still used in the EE world and so on. Arduino uses it to upload
> programs. Sensors may use serial port to communicate with PC. GSM
> Modem also uses serial port to communicate with PC.
>
> Unforunately, pySerial project doesn't seem to have a good state. I
> find pySerial + Python 3.3 broken on my machine (Python 2.7 is OK) .
> There are unanswered outstanding bugs, PyPI page has 2.6 while SF
> homepage still gives 2.5.
>
> Any idea?

Volunteer as a maintainer and start fixing bugs?

I use pyserial regularly, and the current version works fine for me,
but I'm using Python 2.7. There are still too many libraries that
don't support 3.x for me to consider using 3.x for real work.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! They collapsed
                                  at               ... like nuns in the