Fatal Python error

Dave Angel davea at davea.name
Wed May 29 08:25:13 EDT 2013

On 05/29/2013 07:48 AM, Joshua Landau wrote:
> Hello all, again. Instead of revising like I'm meant to be, I've been
> delving into a bit of Python and I've come up with this code:

To start with, please post in text mode.  By using html, you've
completely messed up any indentation you presumably had.

> class ClassWithProperty:
>   @property
> def property(self):
> pass

Did you really mean to hide the built-in property?  I don't know if this
does that, but it's certainly confusing.  And perhaps that's a
difference between 2.x and 3.x

> thingwithproperty = ClassWithProperty()
>
> def loop():
> try:
> thingwithproperty.property
>   except:
> pass
>
> loop()
>
> try:
> loop()
> except RuntimeError:
> pass
>
> As you will expect, this does nothing... on Python2.7 and PyPy. Python3.3
> prefers to spit out a "Fatal Python error: Cannot recover from stack
> overflow.", which seems a bit unexpected.

A stack overflow means you have infinite recursion.  Try fixing the
property name above, and see if that makes a difference.

--
DaveA