Python error codes and messages location

Fábio Santos fabiosantosart at gmail.com
Tue May 28 11:26:01 EDT 2013

On 28 May 2013 09:22, "Chris Angelico" <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 6:10 PM, Fábio Santos <fabiosantosart at gmail.com>
wrote:
> > Just to clarify, I am suggesting to have the unchanged messages in
> > tracebacks, but having some methods in the exception to get the
exception
> > and message localised. Just like repr() and str() are directed at
different
> > audiences (the programmer vs. The user), so is a traceback vs a message
box.

> There's no particular reason for that to be a method on the exception,
> then. You're just asking to localize a text string, and I think that
> functionality already exists someplace :)

Yes :) what we don't have is a translation string for every exception that
Python could raise. Or at least some of them.

> > OpenERP for example shows stack traces to the user. It could show a
shorter
> > message in the user's language.
>
> Sounds like an OpenERP feature request, then.

No, it's just something that OpenERP would obviously do if it had a library
to, or language support :) this could be the One Obvious Way To Do It for
displaying error messages in localised applications.

That said, I'm going to think about this and maybe write a library for
localising exceptions and a portuguese translation pack.

PS. FWIW I'm rather stubborn sometimes. Sorry if I bothered you in any way.