Python Magazine

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Sat May 25 21:54:43 EDT 2013

In article <7cd17be8-d455-4db8-b8d0-ccc757db5cff at googlegroups.com>,
 John Ladasky <john_ladasky at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> On Saturday, May 25, 2013 8:30:19 AM UTC-7, Roy Smith wrote:
> > From my phone, I
> > can call any other phone anywhere in the world.  But I can't talk
> > directly to the file server in my neighbor's house across the street?
>
> Hmmm... I've been an advocate of IPv6, but... now you've got me thinking of
> what Iran's new cadre of hackers might do with it!  :^)

You (like many people) are confusing universal addressability with
universal connectivity.  The converse of that is people confusing NAT
with security.

Of course not every IPv6 endpoint will be able to talk to every other
IPv6 endpoint, even if the both have globally unique addresses.  But,
the access controls will be implemented in firewalls with appropriately
coded security policies.  Not as an accident of being behind a NAT box.