Ldap module and base64 oncoding

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Sun May 26 11:16:28 EDT 2013

Joseph L. Casale wrote:
>> Can you give an example of the code you have?
>
> I actually just overrode the regex used by the method in the LDIFWriter class to be far more broad
> about what it interprets as a safe string.

Are you sure that you fully understood RFC 2849 before doing this?
Which version of python-ldap are you using?

> I really need to properly handle reading, manipulating and
> writing non ascii data to solve this...

Module ldif in python-ldap does that for you based on RFC 2849.
Without seeing your code using it I cannot tell what's wrong.

> Shame there is no ldap module (with the ldifwriter) in Python 3.

1. The module ldif is stand-alone. So you could easily make it available for
Python 3.

2. "Shame" is the wrong term here. Personally I currently have no requirement
to use Python 3 and I'm quite busy with other things. So contributors are
welcome. But they should be willing to do some serious work giving continous
support - not only a half-baken patch.

Ciao, Michael.