Simple algorithm question - how to reorder a sequence economically

Peter Brooks peter.h.m.brooks at gmail.com
Fri May 24 15:01:35 EDT 2013

On May 24, 5:00 pm, Carlos Nepomuceno <carlosnepomuc... at outlook.com>
wrote:

> I don't know what "spurious evidence of correlation" is. Can you give a mathematical definition?

If I run the simulation with the same sequence, then, because event E1
always comes before event E2, somebody might believe that there is a
causative connection between them in the world that's being simulated,
when, in fact, they only correlate in this way because the sequence is
not being shuffled. That's what it means.

Actually it'll be a bit more subtle than that, because each iteration
of the simulation updates all nodes in one time interval, the events
will not usually show the order of iteration - but, where there are
any secondary effects, that are related to the order in which the
nodes are updated, these will always happen the same way, which is my
concern.